Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Kickin' My Addiction...

I did it. I won. It was hard. It was painful. But I preservered and I won.

It started many years ago, while working at a local drug store. I was about 16 years old at the time when my addiction really started. I used to be fine with one a few times a week, but then it became a daily need.

I was addicted. Yes, I was. I "had" to have my Mountain Dew every day. I felt bad if I didn't get it. I couldn't leave a store without grabbing a bottle. At one point in my life, I was drinking a liter or more all by myself. I'm ashamed to admit that, but I did it and I'm owning  up to it.

 
One 20 ounce bottle has 290 calories and 31 grams of sugar plus 91mg of caffeine. There were days I would easily drink down 2 of these suckers, it's no wonder kicking the habit was so hard!
 
On the first of January of this year, I quite cold turkey. I didn't "wean" myself slowly. I didn't ease into it. I just quit. And it was hard. I had awful "withdrawal" headaches. I felt bad overall, really. I craved it terribly and my will power almost shattered a week and half into my "Dew free" life. I cried. I felt horribly deprived.  But I stuck it out and here I am, going on two months without it.
 
I feel so much better now that I am no longer drinking the Dew. I feel proud of myself when I can go out and walk past those soda laden coolers. The Dew no longer reels me in like a fish. No, I can walk on by and ignore it's colorful calling. In fact, I can reach into the Mountain Dew filled cooler and grab a bottle of plain water. Two months ago, that would never have happened!
 
After almost two decades, my addiction has been broken! It is such a freeing feeling. It is an amazing thing to think that I no longer want or crave soda.
 
I no longer "drink" my self into calorie overload. No, I drink water and maybe an occasional glass of milk, wine, or coffee. I feel so much more in control of my life now that the soda no longer controls me!
 
Here are the ingredients. I almost got sick when I saw I was drinking vegetable oil! (Ew..) Almost everything on this list makes me cringe! I never paid attention when I was drinking the stuff!
 
CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CONCENTRATED ORANGE JUICE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), CAFFEINE, SODIUM CITRATE, ERYTHORBIC ACID (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), GUM ARABIC, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FLAVOR), BROMINATED VEGETABLE OIL, YELLOW 5
 
 
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Nice work!! I hear ya - mine's diet Pepsi. I'm down to 2 a day now - 1 in the morning and one at dinner. Last week I was drinking at least 7 12 oz cans per day.

    I really is freeing, isn't it? Plus - think of all the money we'll save!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother is addicted to Mountain Dew. I fear for his health. I guess I am grateful my mom started forcing diet Pepsi at at 10. And since I never really loved that the change to water was not a big deal. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it really is freeing to be able to break that dependency! I smile every time I can walk by the cooler and not even want a bottle!

    Yes, Mountain Dew is bad for your health. I really believe that if I continued to drink it I would keep feeling physically awful. I feel so much healthier without it!

    ReplyDelete